Engagement Reporting Fellow, ProPublica Illinois
June 2018-Dec. 2018
- Defined the ProPublica Illinois voice on social media ("useful, assertive, interested"). Doubled ProPublica Illinois' social reach while maintaining accounts daily.
- Streamlined newsletter production by formalizing editing schedule and topics while also defining newsletter voice.
- Worked with reporters on investigative projects to identify communities and audiences, find ways to reach them and involve them in reporting. For example, I created and maintained the Facebook group for Driven into Debt's The Ticket Trap.
Tools: Google Analytics, Chartbeat, CrowdTangle, Buffer, Sprout
Social Media Producer (Audience Development), The Seattle Times
- Managed The Seattle Times Facebook page and Twitter feed.
- Use analytics to make decisions about sharing stories and producing assets to increase reach and community engagement.
- Developed social media strategy for breaking news and enterprise stories to maintain timeliness and accuracy.
- Implemented social media best practices and work with web producers, editors, and reporters to ensure quality of social discussion.
- Wrote up daily and weekly social media reviews.
- Addressed sensitive news coverage as a member of the diversity and inclusion task force.
Tools: Google Analytics, Buffer, RivalIQ, Chartbeat, Facebook Insights, CrowdTangle
Journalism Instructor, UCLA Student Media
October 2015-January 2016
Taught an introduction to journalism class about digital storytelling and workshops on using social media for sharing stories, building communities, and reporting.
Social Media Producer (Project), Los Angeles Times
- Managed main Facebook page, main Twitter feed, main Instagram account, and Snapchat.
- Oversaw social media assets and strategy on Twitter and Tumblr for #EmergingUS, a project on race, immigration, and identity. Live-tweeted and curated social media about race and culture in L.A.
- Enhanced stories with shareable charts and graphics.
- Solicited and curated user generated content.
Tools: Hootsuite, Chartbuilder, Meme Generator
Advisor to the Newsmagazines, UCLA Student Media
September 2014-February 2015
Advised student newsmagazines that cover the Black, Latino/a, Queer, Feminist, Jewish, Muslim, Asian- American communities on campus and in L.A. about publishing digitally, training and managing staff, building and engaging audiences.
Visuals Team Intern, National Public Radio (NPR)
Worked with a group of photographers, editors, developers, and web designers to build a variety of info graphics that included ‘Behind the Civil Rights Act,’ in collaboration with CodeSwitch, NPR’s race and ethnicity desk, and the Society of News Design award-winning project ‘Demolished.’
Tools: GitHub, NPR Visuals Team’s News App Template
Columbia Fellow, Univision Communications, Inc.
June 2013-March 2014
Reported, coded and managed projects for La Huella Digital. Communicated between the newsroom and the developers of Univision Interactive. See my website for a full list of projects and stories.